Connect with the ALSC Blog to find a collection of articles written about Día by ALSC members and Committees. All Día articles can be accessed at: http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/category/dia/.
Día Get Together Facebook chats
ALSC offers periodic Día Get Together Facebook chats on the Día Facebook Page. These chats are a great way to share programming ideas and to find new resources. The chat archives are accessible through Facebook.
- January 2015 chat – The ALSC Public Awareness Committee and Colorín Colorado discussed available multicultural program resources.
- March 2015 chat – The ALSC Quicklists Consulting Committee and First Book discussed how to choose and find multicultural titles for Día programs.
History of Día Celebration
These articles address various aspects of El día de los niños / El día de los libros and preserve the history of the celebration. When possible, links to the articles have been provided, and additional articles will be added over time.
- "Celebrating more than a decade of Día in Texas!" http://www.txla.org/groups/CRT-Mora
- Crandall, Hope, Mary Parra and Deeda Chamberlain. "Community Collaborates for a Día Celebration." Oregon Library Association Quarterly, Winter 2009. p 25-27. http://data.memberclicks.com/site/ola/olaq_15no4.pdf
- Larson, Jeanette. "Building a Culture of Literacy through Día." American Libraries, Mar/Apr2011, Vol. 42 Issue 3/4, p16.
- Larson, Jeanette. "Talking With Pat Mora." Book Links (January 2011 supp) p. 23-6. http://www.booklistonline.com/ProductInfo.aspx?pid=4637184&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
- Mora, Pat. “A Dozen Ideas for Celebrating El día de los niños/El día de los libros, Children's Day/Book Day,” Journal of Children's Literature, Volume. 33, Number 1, Spring 2007, p. 68.
- Mora, Pat and Treviño Rose Zertuche. “Celebrating Children and Books: El día de los niños / El día de los libros” http://dia.ala.org/content/celebrating-children-and-books-el-d%C3%ADa-de-los-ni%C3%B1os-el-d%C3%ADa-de-los-libros-0
- Ramos-McDermott, Alma. "Día & You: Celebrating Children and Literacy." Knowledge Quest v. 39 no. 5 (May/June 2011) p. 62-3.
- Rowlands, Kathleen Dudden. "The Influence of Pat Mora: How—and Why—Literacy Becomes Political." Children & Libraries v. 5 no. 1 (Spring 2007) p. 20-5.
- Roy, Loriene. "Let Book Joy Begin @ Your Library!: Ten Years of El Día de los Niños/El Día de los Libros." Library Media Connection, Mar2007, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p14-16.
These useful websites were shared at the Day of Diversity at ALA’s Midwinter Meeting in January 2015. Browse through these sites to find active blogs, programming ideas, resources and more that focus on multicultural children’s books and programming.
- First Book: The Stories for All Project (Nonprofit)
- Children’s Book Council – CBC Diversity (Nonprofit)
- Association for Library Service to Children – Día Website (Nonprofit)
- Teaching Tolerance (Nonprofit)
- We Need Diverse Books (Nonprofit)
- Center for the Study of Multicultural Children's Literature's Best Books of 2014 (Resource)
- Advocates for Youth - Youth Leaders Guide to Building Cultural Competence (Resource)
- California State Department of Education - 10 Ways to Analyze Children's Books for Racism & Sexism (Resource)
- Black Children’s Books and Videos (Resource)
- National Education Association – Diversity Toolkit: Cultural Competence for Educators (Resource)
- Day of Diversity Sample Letters to Bookstore (Resource)
- USBBY Outstanding International Books List (Resource)
- Show Me the Diversity Bibliography list – developed for Day of Diversity (Resource)
- Show Me the Diversity Resources list – developed for the Day of Diversity (Resource)
- Utah State Library – Bilingual Storytimes (Resource)
- Reading is Fundamental – Multicultural Booklists (Resource)
- Grace Lin – A Cheat Sheet for Selling Diversity (Resource)
- School Library Journal diversity articles (Articles)
- The Audacious Librarian (Blog)
- Latinas for Latino Lit (Blog)
- The Show Me Librarian – Selection is Privilege (Blog)
- Criss Cross Mangosauce (Blog)
- The Brown Bookshelf (Blog)
- American Indians in Children's Literature (Blog)
- Diversity in Libraries (Blog)
- CBS Corporation – Diversity Blog (Blog)
- Crazy QuiltEdi (Blog)